Plus Community - for users of ACCPAC & Adagio accounting software

Welcome to the PlusCommunity forums! PlusCommunity is a gathering place for companies running Simply Accounting, ACCPAC Plus, Sage Accpac ERP (ACCPAC Advantage/ACCPAC for Windows), and Adagio Accounting.
New visitors, please click here!

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#53833 - 12/12/18 10:24 AM Delete old and obsolete item numbers from IC
Gary M

Loc: Burnaby, BC
Greetings, is there a way inside of IC 6.5A or IC Took Kit to delete inventory items in groups rather than singly? I have a few thousand items I would like to get rid of without doing a delimited file export and import. Thanks
#53834 - 12/12/18 03:32 PM Re: Delete old and obsolete item numbers from IC [Re: Gary M]
Steve Schwartz Moderator

Loc: Wynnewood, PA
Hi Gary

Not in IC 6.5A itself. I don't know IC Toolkit.

However, it is generally a very bad idea to delete items. Although they will be deleted in IC, they will still exist on OE historical invoices, PO, and/or SalesAnalysis, and this will cause (minor) data corruption.

It is a much better idea to use the IC Item Number Changer utility (assuming you own it) to combine items. This will flow through to the other modules. The strategy is to create an item ZZZZ called "Deleted Items" and combine all the items you want to delete into that item. You want to make sure that the items have zero quantity on hand, on sales order and on purchase order.

You can create the list in Excel (CSV) and import it.

Actually it's a bit more complicated since you can only combine two items if they have the same stocking unit of measure.

If you need help with this, let me know via email - steve@sschwartzcpa.com

Steve

#53835 - 12/13/18 05:44 PM Re: Delete old and obsolete item numbers from IC [Re: Steve Schwartz]
Gary M

Loc: Burnaby, BC
Hi Steve, thanks for the info.
Many of the items have no history or transactions, they were just added to the IC lists, as sizes or colours etc.
I do have IC Number change and have used that occasionally to combine items as well. We have about We 8K items and need to pair it down to 5K. So far exporting to XLS and importing back in has been the easiest way.
Cheers, Gary

#53837 - 12/17/18 02:30 PM Re: Delete old and obsolete item numbers from IC [Re: Gary M]
edkraus

Loc: Oregon
I wish we had purchased and installed IC Item Number Changer ... we have the same issue with many obsolete IC items in the data. Deleting them creates data integrity issues which is a pain.

I have Item Format Change which we purchased but never installed, but I don't think that will help delete obsolete items.

Can a consultant with a copy of the Item Number Changer Utility install the utility long enough to do the item manipulation as part of a service call?

#53838 - 12/17/18 04:57 PM Re: Delete old and obsolete item numbers from IC [Re: edkraus]
MMA

Loc: New York, NY USofA
Hi Ed:
Kind of beyond me why you would want to keep hanging your business on an unsupported accounting system running on an obsolete operating system that hasn't been maintained in 20 years and forego all the modern and time-saving features that something like Adagio can bring to the table which will easily convert your ACCPAC Plus data.

Do you remember who the manufacturer was for IC Item Number
Changer? Peresoft?

If you want, email me at adagio-in-a-day@mmanyc.com

#53848 - 12/18/18 01:57 PM Re: Delete old and obsolete item numbers from IC [Re: MMA]
Steve Schwartz Moderator

Loc: Wynnewood, PA
Hi Ed

Yes - steve@sschwartzcpa.com

Steve

#53849 - 12/18/18 03:48 PM Re: Delete old and obsolete item numbers from IC [Re: Steve Schwartz]
edkraus

Loc: Oregon
Hi Howard, nice to hear from you.

Steve, I'll get through year end and then email you to see if doing this makes sense, really appreciate the straight answer.

Ed

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Douglas Dickie, Steve Schwartz, Lars E. Glimhagen 
Hop to: