Plus Community - for users of ACCPAC & Adagio accounting software

Welcome to the PlusCommunity forums! PlusCommunity is a gathering place for companies running Simply Accounting, ACCPAC Plus, Sage Accpac ERP (ACCPAC Advantage/ACCPAC for Windows), and Adagio Accounting.
New visitors, please click here!

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#53768 - 10/25/18 01:13 PM BOM inventory control and PO's
AUrunner

Loc: Ohio, U.S.A.
Hello,
I'm trying to figure out how to use BOM within our organization.

each of these "master" items have component parts that we manually keep track of with excel. With some of these items having up to 8 component parts we are manually tracking i thought it best to start looking into BOM to keep track of these component parts.

can someone check my logic on this to see if this is how PO's and IC-BOM's work? (obviously simplified model)
1)each BOM and "master" item has to be setup as it's own item in IC.
2)create a PO for each of these component pieces (to put stock in them, keep track of cost, etc.)
3)from there use BOM and assemblies to put the final completed master item into stock.

I believe that is how this all works.

Currently we just use PO's to order the master item from our factories/suppliers. (and manually track the component parts with excel). So if we use PO's to order the master item then there really is no way for us to use BOM to track the component parts, correct?

ideally for our organization it would be great if we could order the master item from our supplier using PO's and somehow the PO could update inventory of the BOM parts for that item. e.g. item HB210-blk-OS is the master item and it has 1 component part setup in BOM a "stock card" where 1 stock card is used per piece of the master item.
put 48 pieces of item HB210 -BLK -OS on PO and when PO is posted it deducts 48 pieces of BOM part "stock card" from its inventory. (but i don't think that is how all of this works)

we do not "assemble" any items at our warehouse. everything is assembled by the supplier at their respective locations (based off the PO's we send them). we just want to keep track of the component items that go into that product because we purchase those and need to know when to order more, etc...

just want to make sure I'm thinking through all of this correctly.

thanks,
Billy

#53769 - 10/25/18 01:15 PM Re: BOM inventory control and PO's [Re: AUrunner]
Jay Converse Administrator

Loc: Location, Location
Since you don't assemble, use kits, not BOMS

#53770 - 10/25/18 01:17 PM Re: BOM inventory control and PO's [Re: Jay Converse]

But you can't order master items, you have to order components.

#53771 - 10/25/18 01:27 PM Re: BOM inventory control and PO's [Re: Jay Converse]
AUrunner

that is what i thought was going to happen... unfortunately that doesn't work very well for our items.
#53772 - 10/25/18 01:29 PM Re: BOM inventory control and PO's [Re: AUrunner]
AUrunner

so if we can't use BOMS, etc... is there anyway for me to turn off IC fractional qty's?
or at this point are we stuck with 4 decimal places

#53773 - 10/25/18 01:30 PM Re: BOM inventory control and PO's [Re: AUrunner]

ICOPT.FRACTQTY = 0

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Jay Converse 
Hop to: