Plus Community - for users of ACCPAC & Adagio accounting software

Welcome to the PlusCommunity forums! PlusCommunity is a gathering place for companies running Simply Accounting, ACCPAC Plus, Sage Accpac ERP (ACCPAC Advantage/ACCPAC for Windows), and Adagio Accounting.
New visitors, please click here!

Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#53061 - 05/10/17 04:43 PM Slow Accpac performance since new server
jnsimex

Loc: Canada
Accpac 6.0 PU2
SQL 2008

Since moving from a old Windows 2003 physical server to a virtual Windows 2012R2 server, the performance on the workstation clients have been hit and miss. Sometimes the form loads quickly, other times it will take a good 30 seconds to show up. It feels like form loads into memory quickly as I can see the icon pop up in the task bar but it seems like the dataset is still loading which is causing the delay in the form to show?

I uninstalled the workstation setup from the clients and reinstalled it using the new Accpac server programs and data path. I changed all the ODBC connections to the new server.

When I use Accpac remotely, the performance is blazing fast. Forms pop up the second they are clicked. On the clients, I tried updating the SQL native client drivers, increase the SQL RAM Max allowance, removed the old server runtime path from the PATH variable but so far, no luck.

If anybody has any suggestions, I would love to hear it.

Thanks in advance.

#53062 - 05/10/17 04:47 PM Re: Slow Accpac performance since new server [Re: jnsimex]
Jay Converse Administrator

Loc: Location, Location
Administrative Services
Customization Directories

#53063 - 05/10/17 05:19 PM Re: Slow Accpac performance since new server [Re: Jay Converse]
jnsimex

There are no entries in Customization Directories.
#53064 - 05/10/17 05:26 PM Re: Slow Accpac performance since new server [Re: jnsimex]

Then you've missed something. Like the PATH. Or, because it's a virtual server, it's not a good one. Virtual does not mean better.

And, I have no idea what you mean by "On the clients, I tried updating the SQL native client drivers, increase the SQL RAM Max allowance", because clients don't have SQL RAM.

#53065 - 05/10/17 06:07 PM Re: Slow Accpac performance since new server [Re: Jay Converse]
jnsimex

I can see the new server runtime path in the PATH variable.

My bad, I meant to say that I increased the RAM Max allowance on the SQL server and updated the SQL native client drivers and removed the old server runtime path from the PATH variable on the workstations.

#53066 - 05/10/17 06:32 PM Re: Slow Accpac performance since new server [Re: jnsimex]

Virtual servers are not faster by default. Contact your consultant who installed it, tell him it's worse than the old one.

#53067 - 05/11/17 07:35 AM Re: Slow Accpac performance since new server [Re: Jay Converse]
Ettienne

Loc: Orlando, Florida USA
Virtual servers are cutesy in the IT world, but in the real world they are crap. We found that large SQL databases do not run well on virtual servers, performance takes a dump.

#53068 - 05/11/17 06:43 PM Re: Slow Accpac performance since new server [Re: Jay Converse]
jnsimex

Originally Posted By: Jay Converse
Virtual servers are not faster by default. Contact your consultant who installed it, tell him it's worse than the old one.

lol I was the one who setup the virtual server environment. Its actually a pretty sweet setup compared to the old server environment, consisting of a 3 server high availability cluster inside a VRTX chassis.

You don't feel like this issue is network related since the remote desktop performance is super snappy?

#53069 - 05/11/17 06:44 PM Re: Slow Accpac performance since new server [Re: Ettienne]
jnsimex

Originally Posted By: Ettienne
Virtual servers are cutesy in the IT world, but in the real world they are crap. We found that large SQL databases do not run well on virtual servers, performance takes a dump.

Would you consider a 4GB SQL DB large?

#53070 - 05/11/17 06:47 PM Re: Slow Accpac performance since new server [Re: jnsimex]

4GB is tiny.

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  Jay Converse 
Hop to: