Plus Community - for users of ACCPAC & Adagio accounting software

Welcome to the PlusCommunity forums! PlusCommunity is a gathering place for companies running Simply Accounting, ACCPAC Plus, Sage Accpac ERP (ACCPAC Advantage/ACCPAC for Windows), and Adagio Accounting.
New visitors, please click here!

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#52942 - 03/04/17 06:41 PM Accpac Plus in an HP AllinOne with Windows 10 OS
Antonio L. Jao

Loc: Agana, Guam, USA 96910
Hi All,

Several years ago I purchased for a company an HP AllInOne computer with a Windows 7 OS. I asked the technician if he would be able to make that computer work with the A+ DOS program. I gave him a copy of my friend's A+ WSM and GL in a flash drive.

Somehow that technician was able to make the A+ program work in the HP AllInOne but he won't tell me how he did it. Later on, we upgraded that AllInOne computer to Windows 10 OS with Microsoft's free upgrade and the A+ program still worked.

A friend of mine is just thinking that it would be handy to have a backup HP AllInOne computer with Windows 10 OS that will work with A+ DOS programs. My friend is in the bookkeeping and tax preparation business and has both the Adagio 8.1A and A+ GL program in her Desktop computer with Windows XP OS.

Could someone please tell me how to make the A+ WSM and GL version 6.5 work on an HP AllInOne with Windows 10 OS? My friend is willing to invest in a modern computer if I will be able to give the information to a technician how to do it. I could no longer find the former technician who was successful in doing it.

Thanks in advance from all who can help.

Regards,
Tony

#52943 - 03/04/17 07:16 PM Re: Accpac Plus in an HP AllinOne with Windows 10 OS [Re: Antonio L. Jao]
MMA

Loc: New York, NY USofA
DOS programs like ACCPAC Plus will not run natively under Windows 7 or after. The only way to run them is to install Windows XP or something that supports DOS in a virtual machine.

If this 'friend' has Adagio (although a very old version), why don't they just use Adagio?

Sage Software discontinued ACCPAC Plus in September, 2006.
The final Service Packs (PTF's) were released in March, 2001.
ACCPAC Plus has not been supported by it's manufaturer or had any R&D or updates in over 10 years!
Due to the fact that Plus only stores a 2 digit date, there are issues running certain reports and functions with dates later than 2009.
ACCPAC Plus is unaware of the internet, email and fax.
If you do not have the latest Service Pack's (PTF's) installed, your system is not Y2K compatible.
The latest supported version of Windows for ACCPAC Plus is Windows 98; ACCPAC Plus is not supported on Windows ME, XP, Vista, Windows 7.

If this friend runs their business on it, they should invest in a new machine and upgrade their Adagio Ledger.

#52944 - 03/04/17 09:14 PM Re: Accpac Plus in an HP AllinOne with Windows 10 OS [Re: MMA]
Antonio L. Jao

Hello Howard,

I assure you that what I said about the technician being able to make A+ version 6.5 work on a computer with Windows 7 OS is true. Later, when we upgraded Windows 7 OS to Windows 10 OS, the A+ GL version 6.5 that is in that computer still worked because I tested it myself.

I just don't know how that technician (that I can't find anymore) was able to do it. I suspect though that he probably re-partitioned the hard disk to provide an environment for DOS programs to work.

As to your question about the ADAGIO Ledger version 8.1A combined with A+ GL version 6.5A in a computer with XP OS, my friend is just a die-hard A+ user and she purchased the Adagio Ledger 8.1A because that particular version of Adagio Ledger would still work with A+ GL program and "DOES NOT" convert the A+ data only one way to the point that the A+ GL program becomes useless.

Right now, my friend who I helped purchase the Adagio Ledger 8.1A, has no problem using it together with her A+ GL in her computer with Windows XP OS.

Of course, she said that she can easily buy a new computer with Windows 10 OS and use her Adagio Ledger 8.1A if and when her A+ GL does not work anymore.

#52945 - 03/05/17 04:39 AM Re: Accpac Plus in an HP AllinOne with Windows 10 OS [Re: Antonio L. Jao]
Antonio L. Jao

Steve,

I went back to your postings and came upon an old post of yours in the year 2012 about the website of TAO EXDOS Ultimate software.

Is the company still active?

Were you able to download a trial version and test the software?

I tried downloading the "Ultimate" version but the screen showed that the authentication server is unavailable at this moment.

Regards,
Tony

#52946 - 03/05/17 10:17 AM Re: Accpac Plus in an HP AllinOne with Windows 10 OS [Re: Antonio L. Jao]
Steve Schwartz Moderator

Loc: Wynnewood, PA
Hi Tony

I don't have any more information about EXDOS than I had back in 2012, but I just tried to download the Ultimate version and it worked fine for me. So I would suggest being persistent.

Steve

#52947 - 03/05/17 11:36 AM Re: Accpac Plus in an HP AllinOne with Windows 10 OS [Re: Steve Schwartz]
MMA

I have heard this story many, many times over the years. Someone buys Adagio and they resist leaving ACCPAC Plus. Do your friend a service and stop enabling this. Tell her that it can't be done. Like I guarantee my prospects; Bite the bullet, give up ACCPAC Plus and in 2-3 weeks, you will be 100% happy with Adagio. Especially with just Ledger. All you have to do is learn how to make a journal entry. If they use the Financial Reporter, that may take some learning but the powerful features are worth it. Plus financial statements can be easily converted to Adagio. She will love the ability to send them to Excel (if she's not still using Visicalc, that is)

#52948 - 03/05/17 11:44 AM Re: Accpac Plus in an HP AllinOne with Windows 10 OS [Re: MMA]
MMA

I had tried FreeDOS a few years ago.
http://www.freedos.org/

I was not able to get Plus to run under it. FreeDOS was missing one of the environment commands that Plus requires and Plus wouldn't start.

#52949 - 03/05/17 04:54 PM Re: Accpac Plus in an HP AllinOne with Windows 10 OS [Re: MMA]
Antonio L. Jao

Howard,

Did you try TAO EXDOS "ultimate" version from their official website at https://taosdc.com/ ? I am now in the process of installing/testing it in my home computer with Windows 10 OS using the integrated Virtual XP mode from Microsoft.

BTW, my friend is currently using both her A+ GL 6.5A and the Adagio Ledger 8.1A that she purchased. She used them both alternately with no problem.

I am also using my old computer with an XP OS for our company, my A+ GL 6.5A and the Adagio Ledger 8.1A that our company purchased. I also used both programs alternately with no problem.

I am aware of the advantages of the modern Adagio modules.

However, I had used the A+ program for so many years and love it so much that I still use them and can't resist experimenting on some new programs that keeps the DOS program alive, specially if the trial version is free. Just like my friends here, they love their A+ program so much that they are very hesitant to kill it.

Steve and other moderators have helped me a lot in the past during the "DOS" years and I really appreciate their help.

Edited by Antonio L. Jao (03/05/17 05:40 PM)

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Douglas Dickie, Steve Schwartz, Lars E. Glimhagen 
Hop to: