Plus Community - for users of ACCPAC & Adagio accounting software

Welcome to the PlusCommunity forums! PlusCommunity is a gathering place for companies running Simply Accounting, ACCPAC Plus, Sage Accpac ERP (ACCPAC Advantage/ACCPAC for Windows), and Adagio Accounting.
New visitors, please click here!

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#51845 - 12/02/15 02:19 AM Backup / Restore
Wayne Wagstaff

Loc: Surrey, B.C.
I have an old hard drive that was given me, that has data on it that I would like to look at. I had to recover the data on the 1TB drive. I found a folder Backup Exec SR 8.01 where the program was, BUT I cannot install it on my Windows & computer. The data is stored in folder Symantec Backups. The files have an extension v2i in that folder and the subfolder File Backup Data has a large number of sub folders (fbfiles_??? where ??? is anything).
I have spent 3 to 4 days working on finding out how to restore the files, Symantec sends me to Norton and Norton sends me back to Symantec usually after waiting at least 30 minutes on hold and in the end getting a phone number that either does not work or just sends me back to the beginning!

Any ideas on how I can restore these files?

#51846 - 12/02/15 02:20 AM Re: Backup / Restore [Re: Wayne Wagstaff]
Wayne Wagstaff

This is what you do when you retire!

#51847 - 12/02/15 04:49 PM Re: Backup / Restore [Re: Wayne Wagstaff]
edkraus

Loc: Oregon
A quick internet search shows multiple sources say that extension is for a disk clone backup using Norton Ghost. I remember having Ghost as part of a utility package we would run on Win 95 and 98 boxes, we'd use it to clone disk drives so they would boot. It worked well, but you had to run it from a floppy disk.

I haven't used Norton products on any machine newer than Win2000 so the real starting point is finding out when the backup was made, and on what OS. From that point you might be able to find a machine that will read the older software and extract the backup.

#51852 - 12/04/15 04:51 AM Re: Backup / Restore [Re: edkraus]
Wayne Wagstaff

Norton and Symantec seem to be different companies now and when I call one, they tell me to call the other one as it was their product. I finally copied the folder to a usb drive and mapped the folder as a drive, and it installed OK. It installed as Norton by Symantec. I can restore files by name but not the whole drive at one time. But at least I can get to the data now!

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Douglas Dickie, Steve Schwartz, Lars E. Glimhagen 
Hop to: