Plus Community - for users of ACCPAC & Adagio accounting software

Welcome to the PlusCommunity forums! PlusCommunity is a gathering place for companies running Simply Accounting, ACCPAC Plus, Sage Accpac ERP (ACCPAC Advantage/ACCPAC for Windows), and Adagio Accounting.
New visitors, please click here!

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#51756 - 10/31/15 11:36 AM Freezing while running OE Dayend
Steve Schwartz Moderator

Loc: Wynnewood, PA
Normally I'm the one with the answers, but I'm stumped.

I have three different clients reporting the same issue. They run OE Dayend processing and it completes, but when it asks if they want to print the Invoice Audit List, there is no response to the keyboard, and they are forced to close OrderEntry, which causes data corruption that can only be fixed by running FixIT Plus.

I created a macro (OE1900.MAC) which answers the question (No), but it didn't solve the problem.

All of the computers are Win7 32bit.

At one client, it happens consistently on one workstation but it works fine on other workstations. At another client, it happens on all workstations but only about 1% of the time.

I'm thinking something might be timing out, because OE Dayend does run for a few minutes without any user intervention.

It happens at the end of running FixIT (which also runs for a few minutes), on the question to print the error log. However, here closing the screen and then printing the error log later causes no problems.

Any ideas?

Steve

#51757 - 10/31/15 12:32 PM Re: Freezing while running OE Dayend [Re: Steve Schwartz]
MMA

Loc: New York, NY USofA
Hi Steve:
I'm sure you know what the best answer is. Tell the clients to get off that stinkin', ancient, unsupported DOS accounting program and move to Adagio. Yeah, yeah, I know, they're cheap, blah, blah.

What version of Plus O/E?
If it's 6.1B, do you have the 20000112 PTF installed?
Does the O/E data pass the data integrity check before Day-End?
Have you tried pointing Adagio 8.1 O/E at the data and see if the process completes?
How are you running Plus/DOS on Windows 7? Windows 7 XP Mode or a Virtual machine?
I just ran a Day End on some old, large client data and it completed without a hitch. I am running Windows XP SP3 under Virtual Box on Windows 7.
Maybe replace OESHPTR.xxx and OECRNTTR.xx with zero byte files.

#51758 - 10/31/15 02:46 PM Re: Freezing while running OE Dayend [Re: MMA]
Steve Schwartz Moderator

Hi Howard

It happens on my computer too, when I run Data Integrity Check that takes more than an hour or so - and right at the end when it tells me that there were no errors!

I am running 6.5 of everything. I can't "get off that stinkin'" program because I have 50 or so clients that I support. Most of them actually own Adagio and use a combination of the two, for valid reasons.

I too run Plus on a Windows 7 32-bit computer I keep for that purpose, stand-alone. I am thinking it might have something to do with a Microsoft update, because I just started running into this issue recently.

I suspect an IT person will be the one to figure this out.

Steve

#51759 - 10/31/15 09:21 PM Re: Freezing while running OE Dayend [Re: Steve Schwartz]
Andrew Bates Administrator

Loc: Vancouver, BC
I vote for damage in OECRNTTR or OESHIPTR. Empty those files see if that fixes the problem.

#51760 - 11/01/15 08:25 AM Re: Freezing while running OE Dayend [Re: Andrew Bates]
Steve Schwartz Moderator

It can't be the data.

On my computer, I was running DIC on Inventory Receipts.

Steve

#51761 - 11/01/15 10:52 AM Re: Freezing while running OE Dayend [Re: Steve Schwartz]
MMA

Loc: New York, NY USofA
I vote for Adagio! Steve, I can't believe that 50 clients have impossible to solve, insurmountable issues that prevent them from getting completely off a 20 year old accounting program.

I'm not sure what Inventory Receipts has to do with it. I thought we were talking about Order Entry.

#51762 - 11/01/15 02:22 PM Re: Freezing while running OE Dayend [Re: MMA]
MichaelM

Loc: Canada
Perhaps the update changed some settings in "Power Options", I would set screen and sleep to "Never".

And came across this thru Google:

http://superuser.com/questions/555160/windows-command-prompt-freezing-on-focus

My guess is you have QuickEdit Mode turned on (right-click the command prompt windows's titlebar and select Properties) and you are clicking inside the window with your mouse, thus selecting text by mistake and causing the program to pause.

#51763 - 11/01/15 05:12 PM Re: Freezing while running OE Dayend [Re: MichaelM]
Steve Schwartz Moderator

Thanks for the idea Michael. I'll experiment with it.

Howard, it is not my mission in life to get users completely off Plus, unless they want to. It's enough that they purchased Adagio and are current on their Upgrade Plans. Whether they want to use it is up to them. If they want to pay me to try to solve their Plus issues, I'm OK with that too.

Don't think I try to keep users on Plus and that's why I support so many of them. It's the opposite; because I actively support Plus, they are happy to find me.

Steve

#51892 - 12/16/15 08:29 PM Re: Freezing while running OE Dayend [Re: Steve Schwartz]
Steve Schwartz Moderator

Following up on this...

I was at ANOTHER client today who had experienced the same issue, and their IT guy was there. We got to talking and he said he had fixed the problem. I asked him how. He said "I turned off hyperthreading". This would explain why the problem doesn't occur on XP machines (XP machines don't offer hyperthreading), but does occur on Win 7 machines.

I don't know what the side effects of doing this are, but they haven't noticed any difference in performance, for example.

Steve

#53339 - Yesterday at 08:30 AM Re: Freezing while running OE Dayend [Re: Steve Schwartz]
Antonio L. Jao

Loc: Agana, Guam, USA 96910
Steve.

Just in case we encounter a similar problem, how do you turn off "Hypherthreading" in a Windows 7, 8 or 10 machine?

And may I know what does "Hyphertreading" do? If you know what it does?

Merry Christmas,
Tony

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Douglas Dickie, Steve Schwartz, Lars E. Glimhagen 
Hop to: