Plus Community - for users of ACCPAC & Adagio accounting software

Welcome to the PlusCommunity forums! PlusCommunity is a gathering place for companies running Simply Accounting, ACCPAC Plus, Sage Accpac ERP (ACCPAC Advantage/ACCPAC for Windows), and Adagio Accounting.
New visitors, please click here!

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#51683 - 09/04/15 07:21 PM Phantom Inventory Item Prevents Category Removal
Howard Frazier

Loc: Redmond, WA
I have a customer who is in the final phase (after 1.5 years) of transitioning off of the 'Plus' product. Since it might be another six months (don't ask), they would like me to resolve this problem.

They want to delete a category from IC but a message appears saying that the operation can't be completed because there are still items using that category. I printed a stock report "By Category" and one item appears on the report. When I enter the item number to check status, the item is not located. I did an integrity check with both the standard Accpac module as as well as a "Fix-it Plus" utility and both report no errors in the data. I tried adding the number in as a new item, then deleting the item. Still no joy.

Any idea how I can delete this phantom item so the category can be deleted?

Edited by Howard Frazier (09/04/15 08:55 PM)

#51684 - 09/05/15 01:38 AM Re: Phantom Inventory Item Prevents Category Removal [Re: Howard Frazier]
Howard Frazier

This is a reply to my own message to add some additional details... couldn't edit my original post for some reason.

There appears to be a problem with the way the item number is stored in the system. The item number is "150-050" however in the search list, the number appears with three trailing spaces like: '150-050___' (underline added for clarity, does not display in item number). Not sure how they got that item number in there. If I try to enter the item number to maintain the item, the trailing spaces are removed and the item is not found.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Edited by Howard Frazier (09/05/15 01:41 AM)

#51690 - 09/06/15 12:59 PM Re: Phantom Inventory Item Prevents Category Removal [Re: Howard Frazier]
Andrew Bates Administrator

Loc: Vancouver, BC
If they were moving to Adagio, I would repair the data for you this weekend. My guess is that they imported the item at some point, and the invalid item format was not caught by the process.

There are very few people left in the world who would even recognize Accpac Plus.

#51691 - 09/06/15 01:11 PM Re: Phantom Inventory Item Prevents Category Removal [Re: Andrew Bates]
Howard Frazier

I also thought that the item must have been imported. As a test, I performed an import of item with a similar item number (added three spaces at the end of the item number) but the import process did appropriately strip the spaces.
#51692 - 09/08/15 02:06 PM Re: Phantom Inventory Item Prevents Category Removal [Re: Howard Frazier]
edkraus

Loc: Oregon
This topic is interesting to me as well. I have many obsolete inventory codes I'd like to eliminate, but if I delete the item (costs and quantities are all zero) when I then run a data integrity check it returns errors as there is history for the item that has been deleted.

How do I get rid of obsolete item codes without making integrity check errors?

#51693 - 09/08/15 04:15 PM Re: Phantom Inventory Item Prevents Category Removal [Re: edkraus]
Kate Spontak

Loc: Ridgefield Park, New Jersey
Ed,
The easy way to handle that is to use the Dakota toolkit I/C Item Changer to combine all those obsolete items into 1 item code. That code will then hold all the associated item data for all those obsolete codes including statistics, transactions, even quantities and costs if they still exist. When you look up an old invoice or credit note, the new item code will be there instead of the original.
It allows you to keep lots of customer history but still delete unnecessary items.
Some people set up several codes for obsolete items to keep the history by category of item, or other grouping.

#51694 - 09/08/15 04:25 PM Re: Phantom Inventory Item Prevents Category Removal [Re: Kate Spontak]
Kate Spontak

Loc: Ridgefield Park, New Jersey
Ed,
If you are trying to do this in Plus, you can contact Steve Schwartz about buying I/C Toolkit which can do the same thing but only in Plus.

#51695 - 09/08/15 08:20 PM Re: Phantom Inventory Item Prevents Category Removal [Re: Kate Spontak]
Steve Schwartz Moderator

Loc: Wynnewood, PA
Hi Howard

You want to fix an item with a bogus character in the item code. The only tool I know of to do that would be Adagio GridView Read/Write, which works on ACCPAC Plus data. It's too expensive for you to purchase for this use, but I could do it for you - contact me at steve@sschwartzcpa.com

Hi Kate

You have a good memory. I do have an I/C Toolkit in stock, although if it has to be registered then it's no good.

Hi Ed

One caveat about merging items using the Toolkit. They have to have the same stocking unit of measure. So you may have to create multiple fake item codes - for example ZZZZZEACH, ZZZZZCASE, etc.

Steve

#51696 - 09/09/15 12:31 PM Re: Phantom Inventory Item Prevents Category Removal [Re: Steve Schwartz]
Howard Frazier

Thanks, Steve. I'll contact you.
Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Douglas Dickie, Steve Schwartz, Lars E. Glimhagen 
Hop to: