Plus Community - for users of ACCPAC & Adagio accounting software

Welcome to the PlusCommunity forums! PlusCommunity is a gathering place for companies running Simply Accounting, ACCPAC Plus, Sage Accpac ERP (ACCPAC Advantage/ACCPAC for Windows), and Adagio Accounting.
New visitors, please click here!

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#51359 - 05/27/15 04:07 PM editing and importing file accpac plus V6.X
TheMick

Loc: Illinois
Hi, I am taxed with setting up a second company on our existing accpac plus V6.X. I want to export certain records from the original company .dat files. I have no problem with the export, however the import is throwing non-compatability error messages every time I try to do the import. I have tried CSV edited through excel and have even gone so far as to load lotus 123 to open and edit the export file. The error messages range from incompatable file type selected to field needs "y" or "n". Has anyone run across a magic combination for export-->edit-->import they can share with me. Thanks
#51360 - 05/27/15 04:53 PM Re: editing and importing file accpac plus V6.X [Re: TheMick]
Steve Schwartz Moderator

Loc: Wynnewood, PA
Hi TheMick

Importing is always the tricky part. With ACCPAC Plus, CSV is the best bet, so that's a good start. But this is not going to be possible to troubleshoot over the forum.

Why don't you email me your CSV file and I might be able to tell what is wrong. You should also tell me which fields you tagged in the import screen. And while you are it, the module and the version.

Regards

Steve
steve@sschwartzcpa.com

#51361 - 05/27/15 05:23 PM Re: editing and importing file accpac plus V6.X [Re: Steve Schwartz]
TheMick

Loc: Illinois
Thanks Steve, I will send them over in a few. Mick
#51362 - 05/27/15 07:07 PM Re: editing and importing file accpac plus V6.X [Re: TheMick]
edkraus

Loc: Oregon
Be careful when using any Microsoft product to open and look at any export or import file, it often will embed junk characters and unnecessary page breaks that confuse the import process. Some of this is hidden if you view it in "layout" view.

CSV is usually safest, don't open as a spreadsheet instead use a very old text editor and see if there are extraneous lines, pages, etc. If you use word, use an old version and look for extra characters. I often will have to search for manual page breaks and replace them with nothing to get files ready for import.

Edit only as a plain text file, if you ever save as a doc or docx or rtf then there is a bunch of horrible fonts and other formatting that will cause import to fail as well.

Edited by edkraus (05/27/15 07:08 PM)

#51365 - 05/28/15 02:12 PM Re: editing and importing file accpac plus V6.X [Re: edkraus]
Steve Schwartz Moderator

Loc: Wynnewood, PA
Micky sent me the files and the structure and syntax was fine. I suggested he use a cheap commercial utility called KillinkCSV to edit the file rather than Excel or Lotus. He tried that and it worked.

So this issue is resolved.

Steve

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Douglas Dickie, Steve Schwartz, Lars E. Glimhagen 
Hop to: