Plus Community - for users of ACCPAC & Adagio accounting software

Welcome to the PlusCommunity forums! PlusCommunity is a gathering place for companies running Simply Accounting, ACCPAC Plus, Sage Accpac ERP (ACCPAC Advantage/ACCPAC for Windows), and Adagio Accounting.
New visitors, please click here!

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#51117 - 04/06/15 01:18 AM Start DOS Plus from Slave drivve on new server?
marty_boise

Loc: 2772 S Cole Rd # 140, Boise, I...
This couldn't have happened at a worse time. I had just closed on the sale of the business on (of all days) 4/1/15 and had advised new owners that once we get the 5 work stations all back up and running, we would update to a Windows version of Plus- probably Adagio . BUT When I plugged in the server at the new location I saw a whiff of smoke come out of the power supply (this was at 3pm on Friday pm!) Luckily I found & installed a new 400w power supply, but nothing came on except a green led on the mother board. I then took the PC server to repair shop and expect to hear from them on Monday. IF the diagnosis is the worst, then my question is,

I probably would purchase a Windows 2008 Server and have the two RAID drives (were mirrored) installed as a SLAVE drive. Would I be able to start the Plus program from the hard drive where all the ASP and Plus data folders are stored OR, do we need to move or re-install the licenses to the New Server hard drive that the PC boots off of?

I hope to be able to get at least one PC running so we can get back to business. Note to resellers, before I am told I am wasting my time, I need to let you know that we have been running the Plus (DOS version) on Windows 7 and even 8 since 1984. We updated Plus in 2000 and until Friday have been able to overcome all obstacles- Lots of tweaks but figure if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

So If there is a way to get us back up and running, this would be the perfect example to show the new owners why we need to upgrade. But have to be bringing in the income first.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Marty Evans

#51118 - 04/06/15 01:38 AM Re: Start DOS Plus from Slave drivve on new server? [Re: marty_boise]
MMA

Loc: New York, NY USofA
Hi Marty:
Good lesson for the new owners and anyone still running Plus; It will ALWAYS, without fail, blow up (actually smoke out in your case) on the worst possible day!

ACCPAC Plus, being an old DOS program should run from anywhere that you can run a DOS program from if you know how to configure it. Be sure the xxasp folders are off the root.

Do you have a backup of all Plus programs and data?

There's always a reason to put off the upgrade. The #1 recommendation is that you switch to Adagio. I can have you up and running on it tomorrow.

The #2 recommendation would be finding an older PC, fresh installing Windows XP on it and getting ACCPAC Plus running on it standalone so you can get back to work until you can get it back on the server.

If you need technical assistance getting Plus running, please contact me using the information below or at:
mma-pluscomm-2014@hnyc.us

#51119 - 04/07/15 09:16 PM Re: Start DOS Plus from Slave drivve on new server? [Re: MMA]
marty_boise

Loc: 2772 S Cole Rd # 140, Boise, I...
Thanks for the help Howard and Steve. Luckily the repair shop found that one or the raid hard drives had a short and was keeping the m board from booting, even with a new power supply. They had a used dirve, and $160 later, we are back in business. But you are right, this is a good example of why you should keep your software and computers current. So will push the new owners to take a look at upgrading. Cost may be a factor until we make as much money as we said we would. hmmmm

Thanks again,
Marty

#51120 - 04/07/15 09:43 PM Re: Start DOS Plus from Slave drivve on new server? [Re: marty_boise]
MMA

Loc: New York, NY USofA
Hi Marty: Now that you've felt the fear of a doddering, ancient accounting system breathing it's last, imagine if you were not able to restore it or get it running. If you can't invoice, no money comes in.
I would love to give you and the new owners a remote, no charge, no obligation demo of Adagio. Let me know if you have an hour.

Thanks..

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Douglas Dickie, Steve Schwartz, Lars E. Glimhagen 
Hop to: