Plus Community - for users of ACCPAC & Adagio accounting software

Welcome to the PlusCommunity forums! PlusCommunity is a gathering place for companies running Simply Accounting, ACCPAC Plus, Sage Accpac ERP (ACCPAC Advantage/ACCPAC for Windows), and Adagio Accounting.
New visitors, please click here!

Page 2 of 2 <12
Topic Options
#50590 - 10/14/14 06:01 AM Re: Windows XP outdated [Re: Steve Schwartz]
Ettienne

Loc: Orlando, Florida USA
Denise is located in South Africa, Pastel is a widely used accounting program in SA that is SA centric.
Pastel is cheaper, easy to use and is widely supported locally in SA. All SA accounting firms use Pastel to prepare audits, in other words they can grab a copy of the client's Pastel data to prepare the audit reports.
I think the data conversion question is moot since data can be exported/imported easily. I know this is a selling/strong point of Adagio, but to be honest the Accpac Plus file structure is outdated and there are better database platforms to work with.
Pastel uses Pervasive which as you know is ODBC and widely used in the small accounting packages.
One needs to take into consideration the end user's location and environment when recommending software and in this case I believe they would be better served by Pastel.
On the flip side... I would never say that a USA based user should use Pastel.

Edited by Ettienne (10/14/14 06:06 AM)

#50595 - 10/14/14 06:45 AM Re: Windows XP outdated [Re: Ettienne]
MMA

Loc: New York, NY USofA
Data conversion is hardly a moot point. As I am sure you are well aware the export file from Plus will not just import into another accounting system. Custom programming will be required to massage the data into the format required by Pastel. And sure, master files are easy (Chart of Accounts, Vendors, Customers) but transactions are a whole 'nother issue if the end user wants to have history available. ACCPAC Plus will not natively export the transactions to CSV, etc. once again requiring some custom work to get them out. Does Pastel even import detail transactions?

It does sound like Pastel is common in South Africa which is of course a good thing.

In this day and age of easy remote support, as long as the end user speaks english, I would suggest that most Adagio consultants can easily support a user anywhere in the world.

Pervasive is becoming less common. It has been discontinued by Sage as a platform for Sage 300 ERP and is difficult to set up and maintain.

#50597 - 10/14/14 07:19 AM Re: Windows XP outdated [Re: MMA]
Ettienne

We're talking AP, AR and GL - that's not an issue at all to import master files and transactions. There are very skilled Pastel consultants in SA that can handle this.
Pervasive has not been discontinued by Sage 300 - yet. It is still available as a database option in the current version. Pervasive support will be dropped in a future version of Sage 300. But I don't see how that has any bearing on Pastel and the fact that Pastel uses Pervasive. Pastel is also a lot smarter (same with Sage PFW) in that Pastel automatically creates Pervasive databases and ODBC connections - really smart.
I take it you've not been to SA and specifically not been to East London where the OP resides? Internet access is not as fast and great as it is in the USA. You can compare internet access in SA to communicating using tins cans connected with wet string. Remote support is not a viable option and support from the USA is not practical with time zone differences.

#50598 - 10/14/14 11:51 AM Re: Windows XP outdated [Re: Ettienne]
Steve Schwartz Moderator

Loc: Wynnewood, PA
Hi Ettienne

It sounds like Pastel is the QuickBooks of South Africa, and I can understand the recommendation. If ACCPAC Plus is overkill in terms of features, then Pastel is a good alternative. They will likely not care that they will lose most of their history.

But if the users are basically happy with ACCPAC Plus and they need to change simply because XP is going away, then Adagio is a better solution.

There are some clients I support globally who I have never spoken to or logged onto remotely - it's all done by email or by the tech forum. ACCPAC Plus users who switch to Adagio don't need much handholding.

Steve

#50599 - 10/14/14 12:43 PM Re: Windows XP outdated [Re: Steve Schwartz]
Ettienne

Pastel is light years ahead of Quickbooks, it's more like Sage 50 (Peachtree) and there are different editions like in Sage 300. Feature wise Pastel is at least equal to or better than Accpac Plus, on the reporting side it certainly is far ahead with Sage Intelligence.
There will most probably be some financial incentive if they keep it in the Sage software group.

#50600 - 10/14/14 06:43 PM Re: Windows XP outdated [Re: Ettienne]
MMA

Doubtful there will be any financial incentive. Sage long ago hung ACCPAC Plus users out to dry. They gave upgrade pricing to ACCPAC Plus users to go to 300 ERP (or whatever they were calling it back then) for a while then stopped. They do not give any promos for ACCPAC Plus users and they no longer convert ACCPAC Plus data to it's successor product.

#50605 - 10/15/14 05:42 PM Re: Windows XP outdated [Re: Ettienne]
Andrew Bates Administrator

Loc: Vancouver, BC
Hi Ettienne,

I know you haven't looked at Adagio for a while. Its feature set is more like Sage 300 than Accpac Plus. And, it has the added benefit of a perfect conversion of Accpac Plus data, including most 3rd party products such as Cashbook.

If the historical data isn't a concern, then Pastel is probably a better fit (assuming a willingness to implement new office processes). If historical comparatives and flexible reporting are important, then Adagio would be a better choice, even given the lack of a South African based consultant. (We do have Adagio Resellers who can speak Afrikans! )

#50647 - 10/22/14 03:57 PM Re: Windows XP outdated [Re: Steve Schwartz]
netcorp

Loc: Jamaica
Accpac for dos can run on windows 7 I have don it for several clients even in full screen mode. Trick is don't use Windows 7 in 64 bit mode. Run 32 bit mode cause Accpac for dos being a 16 bit software will not run on a 64 bit operating system. The are a couple more stuff to be done for full screen mode but it works
#50651 - 10/22/14 04:49 PM Re: Windows XP outdated [Re: netcorp]
Steve Schwartz Moderator

Loc: Wynnewood, PA
Hi netcorp

It's very difficult to purchase a Windows 7 32-bit machine in this day and age, and there are severe disadvantages to using a 32-bit operating system versus 64-bit. So this is what I would call a "compromise", not a "trick".

Also, running in full-screen mode is a function of the monitor (and supporting software), not the operating system. Most newer monitors do not support full-screen mode for DOS programs.

Steve

#50654 - 10/23/14 07:03 AM Re: Windows XP outdated [Re: Steve Schwartz]
MMA

It's a tribute to ACCPAC Plus (DOS) that even 15 years after any development has been done it and 8 years after it was totally discontinued by it's manufacturer, people are still trying to keep it running. Users loved ACCPAC Plus! it was widely used, bulletproof and fast. It's hard to understand today, however, why people are still trying to run their businesses with Plus.

ACCPAC Plus originally cost somewhere between $450 and $600 per module. Even if you used the full boat; General Ledger, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Order Entry, Inventory, Sales Analysis and 4 LanPaks, it maybe cost $4,200. Assuming that you bought it in 1994, the amortization straight-line would be$210/year which is a pretty reasonable amount to have spent on your accounting software. Your investment is now fully amortized and you have surely gotten your money's worth!

Windows has not natively run DOS since Windows Vista. Microsoft has ceased support for Windows 98. You can no longer buy a computer with an operating system that runs DOS (or ACCPAC Plus). Printers that will print from DOS programs are becoming increasingly rare. Windows no longer supports parallel printers and USB printers will not print from DOS programs (without major trickery).

ACCPAC Plus is becoming very difficult and expensive to maintain and keep running. Many who are still trying to run ACCPAC Plus have it running on equally ancient hardware. These old computers can and do fail at what is always the worst-possible time like year-end or when you need to get a huge order out. I get calls constantly from Plus users panicked in disaster-mode whose ACCPAC Plus has failed and left their businesses unable to function.

You are now letting the operation of your business depend on ancient technology that is no longer supported by the operating system manufacturer (Microsoft) or the application vendor (Sage Software). Sage's supposed successor product, Sage 300 ERP, no longer uses Accpac in the name and the function to convert ACCPAC Plus data is no longer part of the product. Do you use any other technology in your business that's over 20 years old and may stop working any day? Do you think your customers have confidence in your company when they receive an invoice that is printed using an ancient dot-matrix printer on multi-part pin-feed stock? Transaction dates in 2010 and after are evaluated by ACCPAC Plus as being in the year 1910 and date-range reports will not print and may be inaccurate.

So, the question of the day is why jeopardize your business when an easy replacement like Adagio by Softrak Systems (www.softrak.com) is available? Adagio is windows-based modular accounting software that will easily convert ACCPAC Plus data and has business logic, entry screen layouts, functionality and reports similar to ACCPAC Plus. Adagio also has tons of new features like the ability to email (and fax) invoices, purchase orders and customer statements, can print dynamite-looking forms (invoices, checks, statements) on blank paper and the ability to press a button to send reports and screens to Excel. ACCPAC Plus users can easily migrate to Adagio with no major data conversion and minimal re-training.

There are new Adagio modules like Gridview to easily do inquiries on your accounting data, ePrint to facilitate paperless reports, Console to ease the administration of complex Adagio sites managing a large user community and revamped Purchase Orders and BankRec modules.

Adagio Ledger allows a "Soft" Year End. Open your next fiscal year to retrieve and enter transactions as soon as they occur, without having to close your current year. You can have 2 years open at once! Other Adagio Ledger features that were impossible in ACCPAC Plus include additional description space, multiple Years of detailed history, a second budget/forecast, drill-down to all transactions that made up an entry and more.

We coined the phrase "We can have you converted to Adagio in one day" which is true. It will take some time to get your forms converted and do full training bu we can have the basics done easily in one day.

One of the biggest objections seems to come from large-volume Order Entry users where the entry clerks can literally enter and invoice an order with teir eyes closed. I guarantee you that they will be just as fast in 3 weeks using Adagio.

So, why are so many people killing themselves trying to keep ACCPAC Plus running?? Do yourself and your business a favor. Contact an Adagio dealer and have them show you Adagio.

(We are happy to provide a remote, free, no obligation demo of Adagio to ACCPAC Plus users anywhere in the world!)

Howard Schell
President
Micro Management Associates
adagio-in-a-day@mmanyc.com

Page 2 of 2 <12

Moderator:  Douglas Dickie, Steve Schwartz, Lars E. Glimhagen 
Hop to: