Plus Community - for users of ACCPAC & Adagio accounting software

Welcome to the PlusCommunity forums! PlusCommunity is a gathering place for companies running Simply Accounting, ACCPAC Plus, Sage Accpac ERP (ACCPAC Advantage/ACCPAC for Windows), and Adagio Accounting.
New visitors, please click here!

Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#50411 - 09/10/14 01:16 AM Windows XP outdated
DeniseMB

Loc: South Africa
I am running Accpac for DOS on Windows XP, but seeing that there is no further support for this version of Windows we would like to change to an Operating system that is secure. I use Accpac Plus Maint Ver 6,1A , Account Payable 6.5a, Accounts Receivable 6.5A, Fix It 6.1D, GL and Financial Reportere 7.0A and Peresoft Cashbook 6.5B. Are there any suggestions to which Windows version we should change and would we be able to partition the Dos programs in such a way that we dont have to switch on and off each time we want to work on a DOS program.
#50414 - 09/10/14 04:35 AM Re: Windows XP outdated [Re: DeniseMB]
MMA

Loc: New York, NY USofA
Windows Vista is the last version of Windows that will natively run a DOS program. Windows 7 Professional has an XP mode which is also no longer supported by Microsoft and not secure. You can use Windows XP in a Virtual Machine in Windows 7 or 8 but you are still using insecure Windows XP.
Using Windows XP mode or a VM will require turning on/off.

In order to use Windows 7, 8 or the upcoming 9, you will need to upgrade this ancient DOS accounting program to something windows-based.
We recommend Adagio by Softrak Systems http://www.softrak.com to our clients still using ACCPAC Plus. Adagio is a painless, quick upgrade from Plus. The data converts easily and the screens, reports and methodology of Adagio is familiar to ACCPAC Plus users resulting in a reduced re-training curve.

Edited by MMA (09/10/14 04:38 AM)

#50451 - 09/15/14 01:52 AM Re: Windows XP outdated [Re: MMA]
DeniseMB

I have been looking at Softrak.com(Adagio) but I fail to see any Cashbook Module, what do they use. The modules we require is: Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Cashbook, General Ledger and Financial Reporter.
#50452 - 09/15/14 04:07 AM Re: Windows XP outdated [Re: DeniseMB]
Steve Schwartz Moderator

Loc: Wynnewood, PA
Hi Denise

The equivalent of Cashbook is Adagio BankRec. It can convert Cashbook data (although usually that is not required). It has many improvements over Cashbook, the main one being, in my opinion, that you can work in multiple months at the same time, unlike Cashbook, where you have to "close" the month before moving on to the next month.

Steve

#50456 - 09/16/14 02:29 AM Re: Windows XP outdated [Re: Steve Schwartz]
DeniseMB

I have now been advised that Adagio only has 1 support agent in South Africa, this to me is a bit scary, I live in East London and the only support is in Johannesburg, 1000km apart.
What do you think of Pastel???

#50458 - 09/16/14 04:11 AM Re: Windows XP outdated [Re: DeniseMB]
Steve Schwartz Moderator

Hi Denise

Where your support is physically located is not very important with today's technology. I am in the US and support clients as far away as New Zealand - everything is done via email and/or remote login. What's important is that the support is responsive and knowledgeable.

Is Pastel a company or the name of software?

Steve

#50459 - 09/16/14 04:39 AM Re: Windows XP outdated [Re: Steve Schwartz]
MMA

Loc: New York, NY USofA
Pastel is a Sage accounting product. I don't know much about it. It sounds like it is only for the South African market. It is doubtful that it converts ACCPAC Plus data like Adagio does.

We would be happy to provide a remote, free, no-obligation demo of Adagio.

Edited by MMA (09/16/14 04:39 AM)

#50461 - 09/16/14 08:34 AM Re: Windows XP outdated [Re: MMA]
Douglas Dickie Moderator

Loc: Langley, BC Canada
Denise:

Your profile says you are located in South Africa, hence the confusion.

In addition to Adagio the only other software that could, at one time, convert ACCPAC Plus was Sage ACCPAC.

If you're happy with the feature set in ACCPAC Plus then Adagio would be your best choice.

As Steve says, today technology allows us to easily support clients anywhere in the world, so the fact that there is no longer someone around the corner should no longer be a consideration.

#50588 - 10/14/14 01:17 AM Re: Windows XP outdated [Re: DeniseMB]
Ettienne

Loc: Orlando, Florida USA
Denise,
I'm originally from Gonubie, so I'm familiar with your environment. I've been consulting with Accpac for 20+ years.
In my opinion you would be better served using Pastel, which as you know is a South African based company which is now part of Sage (Softline Africa). There are companies in East London that do support Pastel.
You can send me a private message if you have any further questions.

Regards,
Ettienne

#50589 - 10/14/14 04:03 AM Re: Windows XP outdated [Re: Ettienne]
Steve Schwartz Moderator

Hi Ettienne

Can Pastel open up ACCPAC Plus data and read it, including all history, without having to perform a conversion, like Adagio can? Does it function almost identically to ACCPAC Plus, like Adagio does, so that minimal training is required?

I'd like to know why in your opinion you think Denise would be better served by using Pastel rather than Adagio. Is it cheaper? More user friendly? Better features? Or is it simply because you are familiar with it and not familiar with Adagio?

Steve

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  Douglas Dickie, Steve Schwartz, Lars E. Glimhagen 
Hop to: